1.What city are you from?
I am from Melbourne, Australia
2. What style of performance do you do and why?
I’m a darker style performer. Using rock and metal as my backing tracks. I also use Melbourne based bands music. I wanted to bring Burlesque into the rock community. Being a part of that world for so long, it was about time that both styles of performance walked hand in hand. I wanted to join both my passions together. I’m happy to say, it’s been achieved.
3. How long have you been doing burlesque?
For 7 years. Most of my early days were performing in London when I lived there.
4. What is your biggest achievement so far in burlesque?
Establishing myself, helping others as a burlesque teacher, being apart of ABF for the second year in a row and being accepted into New Orleans burlesque festival.
5. What do you love about the art-form?
Being a great role model and allowing my creativity to flow.
6. What city are you performing at in the festival?
7. What can audiences expect at the show/s you are performing at in October?
I have incorporated some exotic Russian into this routine. This is a dance style predominantly in pole that I really enjoy. I have used Lisa and Ginger Lee Valentine as my mentors for this routine. So it’s going to be one steamy performance… I’m hoping 🙂
8. Tell us a little about yourself. What do you do when you are not performing?
When I’m not performing, I am teaching, not only in burlesque but I am a stretch and jazz teacher. I’m also a qualified secondary school teacher who also works in primary education.
9. Any advise for those wanting to pursue burlesque?
Do as many styles of Burlesque as you can, have as many mentors and teachers as you can and always stay true to who you are. You never stop growing, so why should your passion.
To see Ferri Maya perform at ABF book here: TICKETS