ABF Tips: Dos and Don’ts!
APPLICATIONS WILL BE OPEN 1ST WEEK OF NOVEMBER 2015 AND WILL CLOSE 18 JANUARY 2016. SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED NO LATER THAN 15 FEBRUARY 2016.
Announcements will be made via the ABF website or social media.
* Fill out each section of the form correctly. The reason we ask for particular information from performers is it assists with the review process.
* Read ALL of the information provided, especially the ‘Terms & Conditions’. If available for download make sure you keep an electronic copy or print.
* Make sure you apply with your best work or acts that are suitable for the show/s you are applying for.
* Make sure you read the show outline so you apply for the right show/s. Some performers are not successful as they apply for unsuitable shows.
* If you are a new performer with less than 2 years experience consider applying for Baby Bombshells. If you think you have a stronger act apply for the most appropriate event. You can apply for more than one show, even if you pick Baby Bombshells as well.
* Your bio should represent who you are as a performer. While you can embellish, bios that don’t really highlight your actual performance history may not contribute to overall success. Think of it as CV for a job interview.
* Try to apply with at least two solid acts that will enable a higher success rate. It the act is in development you MUST explain in full what the act is. Applying with more than one act in development may cause an unsuccessful outcome.
* Tell us a little bit more about yourself as a performer. It is great that you may have plenty of awards or accolades or you have performed at x amount of shows but these don’t necessarily equate to a successful application. ABF wants to know about your performance style, your most standout shows and ability to shine on stage.
* Footage is extremely important, especially if a new act or the producer has not seen you perform or it is in development. Showreels, while they are fun to watch don’t always capture the act you are applying with. An act can be filmed in a studio if you have not got live footage. Anything will help gain a successful application.
* Pay the administration registration fee as soon as you complete the application form to ensure it is accepted.
* Try not to leave filling out the form to the last minute. You are guaranteed to miss something.
* If you need too please ask questions before you apply. That way ABF can provide as much information to the performer as possible so you complete the form correctly.
* Be diverse with the acts you submit.
* If you have not been successful previously it does not mean you will not be successful this year. Every ABF is different so give it a go as you never know!
* ABF encourages diversity so all genres will be reviewed such as classic burlesque, neo, unique, queer, dark, drag, circus, boylesque, cabaret, variety, comedy, singers, pole, magic and so on. If you have an act that might suit the festival them please apply. Be mindful that acts over 8 minutes cannot be accepted due to time restrictions for the shows.
* If successful upload your music and photos as soon as requested. ABF needs these for marketing and formatting.
* Make sure you respond to all correspondence in a timely manner. ABF may need to query an act or a particular aspect of your application form via email.
Break a leg as they say in showbiz!! All applications are reviewed thoroughly and objectively.