ABF PERFORMER TERMS & CONDITIONS 2019
All applicants who submit an ABF application form must agree to the Terms & Conditions
**ABF does NOT accept acts that are culturally appropriative, insensitive and highly offensive. ABF respects all cultures, ethnicities, gender and ages. We accept diversity but will not tolerate any performances that disrespect any of the above.**
- All applicants will need to pay a non-refundable processing fee of $16 via PayPal.
- ABF will notify successful and unsuccessful applicants within 21 days of closure of applications via email.
- Successful applicants cannot perform in ‘like’ or similar events 30 days prior to the commencement of ABF or 14 days after. We understand that performers need to work. However, if there is a conflicting event, similar in nature to ABF we ask that you notify ABF as soon as practical to discuss. Local shows and events, on a smaller scale, are of course exempt.
- Acts cannot be more than 8 minutes under any circumstances.
- Please contact ABF for further information if clarification is required. Breach of this term may result in immediate cancellation from the Australian Burlesque Festival schedule and website.
- Director: Dolores Daiquiri
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0401 660 681
Payment and Invoices
The Australian Burlesque Festival pays a standard, non-negotiable fee as follows:
International & Local Artists ($AUD) – Solo: $130, Duo: $160, Group: $200, New Follies is a non-fee payment show. Each performer will receive a sponsored gift bag and the winner will perform at a nominated festival show, which will be determined at a later date. (Please note any payments for assistants are the responsibility of the performer)
- All invoices to be forwarded to email@example.com
- Local performers are to send a docx or PDF invoice. Payments will then be processed as per the T&Cs.
- International performers are required to send a PayPal invoice. Payments will then be processed as per the T&Cs.
- Must be sent 14 days prior to the commencement of ABF 2019.
- Late invoices cannot be accepted after the 2 December 2019 under any circumstances. We highly recommend you forward your invoice as soon as practical to avoid delays.
- Late invoices will incur a $50 fee for processing outside of the invoice terms.
- Invoices must be clearly labeled with the following – stage name, legal name, address, phone number, ABN, date of performance/s, act/s performed, fee. File types accepted are docx or PDF.
- ABF does not pay personal or business GST, PayPal or bank fees. If you do not have an ABN please fill out a Hobbyist Form which you can find online.
- Performers will be paid within 30 days following the last day of ABF 2019 regardless of when you performed via direct debit or PayPal.
- ABF is on tour October 2019 and are unable to process payments during this time.
- Failure to follow these instructions may result in delayed payment.
- The Australian Burlesque Festival does not pay deposits on scheduled acts.
- The Australian Burlesque Festival does not pay in advance.
- The Australian Burlesque Festival does not pay for travel expenses, hotels or meal allowances.
- We highly recommend that local performers have their own ‘public indemnity’ insurance. ABF recommends Duck For Cover or DanceSurance. ABF will have ‘Public Liability Insurance’
- Duck for Cover: https://www.duckforcover.com.au
- DanceSurance: http://www.dancesurance.com.au
- International performers we recommend you have appropriate ‘travel insurance’.
- The performer shall indemnify and not hold ABF liable in the case of any Public Liability Claim brought against them relating to the performer.
- The performer agrees that they are liable for and will indemnify ABF against all claims for damage or loss of equipment relating to the performer as a result of traveling to and from the performance venue and conducting the performance.
- Correspondence will be via email and/or via a Facebook group. The Facebook group is for general information only. We highly recommend that you join this group to avoid delays in delivery of information. For personal questions or concerns email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All successful applicants will be invited to this group at a later date.
- It is an expectation that all performers read any correspondence that is related to the festival.
- Emails will be answered within five days where possible unless urgent.
- All correspondence between the performer and ABF including this agreement is confidential and must not be discussed with a third party before, during or after the festival.
- The Australian Burlesque Festival will not tolerate damage, slander or libel which may cause harm or affect the reputation of the festival. This statement can be in writing, spoken words or even pictured.
Artist Passes/Complimentary Tickets
- ALL performers will be entitled to an ‘Artist Pass’ to attend festival shows. ‘Artist Passes’ will be limited. Performers will be notified at a later date regarding ‘terms’.
- No complimentary tickets are offered to family or friends. They will need to purchase a ticket.
- Friends and family may not be able to sit with you if you have an ‘Artist Pass’. We suggest if you want to sit together please purchase a ticket.
- If ABF has approved an assistant for your act they will automatically be entitled to a ‘complimentary pass’ to the show they are assisting in. Non-transferable to family or friends.
- If you require an assistant during your act they must be approved by ABF prior or during the application process. Assistants are only allowed backstage to prep two acts prior to your performance. Assistants cannot stay backstage after your performance, unless they have to packdown. Assistants are not entitled to an Artist Pass. Any snacks or drinks provided by ABF are for the performers only and not for assistants.
- Please be advised that ABF will be photographed and possibly videotaped. By submitting your application and accepting the ‘Terms and Conditions’ you are agreeing to allow ABF to use your images for ongoing promotional usage. ABF is very mindful of using any photos or footage in a professional and appropriate manner. We are aware of being sensitive to posting ‘partial nude shots’, such as pasties. In general we only post photos and footage we can use to promote future events.
- The performer with allow photography and videography of their acts during the festival at no extra cost to The Australian Burlesque Festival or official photographers.
- The performer will allow any footage and photography from The Australian Burlesque Festival to be used for future promotion and marketing of the festival.
- The performer will not use any images of themselves performing at The Australian Burlesque Festival in any advertising or marketing of future conflicting events.
- Any photos or footage used from ABF must be credited correctly with the following: The Australian Burlesque Festival 2019, performer name, show name, photographer or videographer name as applicable.
- Performers requesting an edited video of their performance please contact email@example.com at the completion of the tour. If a performer would like their act filmed or photographed by their own videographer or photographer they must submit a request prior to commencement of the festival and is subject to approval.
- A DropBox link will be sent to successful applicants at a later date to upload images.
- Performer images provided should be high resolution (minimum 300dpi) jpg or pdf files suitable for print or media (i.e. no nudity) clearly labelled with the performers name and show/s performing in e.g. Miss example, Canberra.jpg.
- We suggest images with a white or dark background for media, as ‘busy’ images are often not accepted.
- If you need to credit the photographer please add the name of the photographer to the image you submit. While ABF will certainly try to credit whenever we can it is not always possible to do so. If you do not have permission to use an image please do not submit.
- A DropBox link will be sent to successful applicants at a later date to upload music.
- Music files must be labelled correctly with your stage name and show/s you are performing in (missexample, Canberra .mp3). All tracks must be included if a mix down.
- Once provided music cannot be changed or significantly altered unless approved by The Australian Burlesque Festival. Due to the high number of performers ABF cannot risk double ups regarding music. While we appreciate some songs are popular and used repeatedly we like to avoid too many similarities.
- Music cannot be changed or altered three months prior to the festival.
Media and Marketing
- ABF will at times approach performers regarding publicity opportunities, which might include print, online or film. ABF expects ALL performers to actively participate in promotion of the festival. While we understand that many of you are asked to promote various other events it is essential that participants promote ABF wherever possible. ABF will in return promote each performer and offer opportunities as they arise.
- All performers must list their participation in The Australian Burlesque Festival accurately on all websites and social media profiles within seven days on confirmation.
- It is an expectation of performers to promote The Australian Burlesque Festival as much as possible following acceptance to the festival. A flyer, media release and website link will be forwarded to the performer for distribution.
- Performers may be asked to participate in publicity leading up to the commencement of The Australian Burlesque Festival and are expected to be available whenever possible.
- You may be contacted for specific marketing pitches. If you have a specific story of interest relating to your burlesque experience please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Press images most likely to be published will be of high quality and contain no nudity or watermark. All care is taken to credit photographer where possible, however it is the responsibility of the performer to gain permission from the photographer for the images to be used in print and media.
Venues and Technical Information
- General information regarding the venues will be available via the website.
- Technical information regarding the stage, lighting, access to the venue, dressing room and so forth will be emailed closer to the time by the Production Coordinator.
- Other than what is provided the Australian Burlesque Festival does not hire extra AV equipment for individual artists. If you require extra equipment you must discuss with the team immediately on confirmation. We will inform performers of what is available.
- Onsite staff include a Production Coordinator, Logistics Manager and Stage Assistants during the show.
- No personal assistants/helpers are permitted under any circumstances unless prior approval has been given.
- Formats and rehearsal forms will be sent seven to fourteen days prior to the commencement of the festival but are subject to change at any time due to unforeseeable circumstances. Performers will be notified of any changes to the schedule as soon as practical and must be contactable by phone or email so the Production Coordinator can inform you of any changes.
- Tech runs and/or rehearsals will be available at the venue on the day of the events.
- NO liquid, confetti, paint, chalk, blood, food, spray or loose glitter, sharp objects or fire is allowed unless direct approval given by the ABF Director.
- Some venues have a NO GLITTER policy.
Rehearsals, Formats, Acts
- Formats and rehearsal sheets will be sent seven to fourteen days prior to the commencement of the festival but are subject to change at any time due to unforeseeable circumstances. Performers will be notified of any changes to the schedule as soon as practical and must be contactable by phone or email so the Stage Manager can inform you of changes.
- Tech runs and/or rehearsals will be available at the venue on the day of the events. Rehearsal times will be strict and subject to change. Late arrival to tech runs may mean you forfeit your spot.
- Acts submitted that are successful MUST not be changed unless discussed with the ABF Director in advance. Acts can only be changed under extreme circumstances.
- In order for ABF to run in an orderly manner we expect everyone involved to read and comply with all instructions. We have painstakingly gone to a lot of trouble to provide plenty of valuable information so we do appreciate that you take the time to understand our expectations.
- All performers and staff must act in a professional and respectful manner to other artists, ABF staff, assistants, technical support, venue staff and patrons. If performers do not respect these requests you cannot participate in ABF. Bullying or harassment will not be tolerated.
- Any performer who consumes too much alcohol prior to performing or working and cannot function adequately will be asked to leave the venue or premises forfeiting payment. No drugs will be tolerated.
- The dressing room must be left in a clean and orderly manner upon departure. We appreciate that burlesque performers are a little ‘messy’, however we do expect each person to leave the space as they found it. Please try to contain your costumes, makeup, luggage and props so that each performer has access to their own space. We understand at times the dressing rooms are small and it can be hard but please respect others in the space. Any damage to the venue will be the responsibility of the person/s who caused said damage.
- Please be mindful of other performers and crew’s space. Try to contain your items as best you can.
- All props or small items (other than your costume) must be made known to the Stage Manager or Assistant Stage Manager during your rehearsal.
- Please try to have your hair and makeup done prior to your show. At times the dressing room can be small with limited mirrors so it makes it hard if everyone is trying to do hair and makeup prior to a show.
- All performers are responsible for their own costumes and props. While ABF will do everything to safeguard your property we cannot be held responsibly for personal items due to loss, damage or theft. If you have left an item at the venue it is your responsibility to contact the venue to collect it.
- All performers are responsibly for load in, setup and load out of props. However assistance will be given regarding props as available.
- Large, heavy or awkward props must be approved by ABF.
- Under NO circumstances are personal friends, family or assistants allowed backstage at anytime. If you require an assistant for your act ABF must be contacted for prior approval.
- It is expected that you respond to all correspondence from ABF in a timely manner and ensure ABF emails are not going to your spam filter.
- Please make sure you read ALL correspondence and respond to emails, Facebook messages and/or texts in a timely manner.